Silica bags are extensively utilised in various industries for their moisture-absorbing properties, which help extend the shelf life of products. Silica gel desiccant packets effectively eliminate moisture inside packaging, preventing issues such as corrosion, mould, and rust.
Silica gel is a synthetic, amorphous substance formed from silicon dioxide. It is produced as hard granules with an irregular crystal-like bead appearance. Non-toxic and odourless, it has stable thermal and chemical characteristics. It is typically white and referred to as non-indicating since it does not change physically upon moisture absorption. (Self-indicating silica gel contains an additive that changes colour when it absorbs water, providing a visual indication of its activity level.)
The gel’s micro-porous structure with interlocking cavities results in an exceptionally high surface area, making it an ideal desiccant with high moisture-absorbing capacity.
Advantages of silica gel desiccant
- Non-flammable – Silica gel is not flammable, ensuring safety in various applications.
- Reusable – It can be regenerated by heating, allowing for repeated use and cost-effectiveness.
- High moisture absorption – Silica gel can absorb up to 40% of its own weight in water.
- Indefinite shelf life – The gel remains effective indefinitely when stored in airtight conditions.
- Inert and non-corrosive – It does not corrode or damage materials.
- Versatile packaging – Silica gel is available in various sizes, making it convenient for different applications.
At PharmPak, we offer food-grade silica bags and canister silica gel desiccants. Our silica bags are odourless, non-toxic, and safe for use with food products. Similarly, our canister silica gel desiccants are made from FDA-grade high-density polyethylene with welded ends to ensure a secure seal and optimal performance.